Immigrant Ship Information
Launched March 1870
Destroyed by fire December 1891
This steamship was built by J. & G. Thomson & Co. of
Glasgow for the British and North American Royal Mail Steam Packet
Co. (later called the Cunard Steam Ship Co.). She weighed 3,376
gross tons, had a length of 364 feet and a beam of 42 feet, one
funnel, three masts, and a single crew. Her service speed was 13
knots. There was accommodation for 120 first-class passengers and
1,068 passengers in steerage. She and her sister ship, the
Algeria, were the first Cunard ships fitted with
bathrooms (one on each side of the ship).
Launched on 3 March 1870, she began her maiden voyage on 24 May
1870, sailing from Liverpool to Queenstown (now Cobh) and New York.
She started her last voyage on this service on 18 September 1880
and was returned to the builders in partial payment for the new
ships Servia and Catalonia. Sold to the
Guion Line, she commenced Liverpool-Queenstown-New York sailings on
20 November 1880 and in 1882 was fitted with compound engines. Her
last voyage on this route started 27 March 1886. Between 1887 and
1891, she sailed a Vancouver-Hong Kong-Japan route for Canadian
She resumed the Liverpool-Queenstown-New York route on 28 November
1891. On 13 December 1891 she left New York for Liverpool, but was
destroyed at sea by fire on 18 December. All the passengers and
crew were rescued by the German liner Spree.
Launched August 1861
Went missing July 1883
This steamship was built by Card & Co. of Greenock, Scotland for
Norddeutscher Lloyd (North German Lloyd). She weighed 2,992 gross
tons, had a length of 328 feet and a beam of 42 feet, one funnel,
three masts, and a single screw. Her service speed was 11 knots.
There was accommodation for 75 first-class, 105 second-class, and
480 third-class (steerage) passengers. She had a crew of 102.
Launched on 23 August 1861, she began her maiden voyage from Bremen
to Southampton and New York on 24 November 1861. She made her last
voyage for this company on 12 November 1878. In 1881, she was
chartered to Adamson & Ronaldson, and given compound engines.
Between May 1881 and March 1882, she made six round trip voyages
from London to Boston.
In 1883 she was sold to the White Cross Line, Antwerp, who renamed
her Ludwig. She sailed from Antwerp for Montreal on 2
July 1883 and went missing after making contact on 3 July with
Prawle Point, 20 miles southeast of Plymouth. Twenty-seven
passengers, 43 crew, and 433 head of cattle were lost.
Launched January 1883
This steamship was built by Laird Bros. of Birkenhead for Red
Star Line. She weighed 5,212 gross tons, had a length of 400 feet
and a beam of 47 feet, one funnel, four masts, and a single screw.
Her service speed was 13 knots. There was accommodation for 63
first-class, 56 second-class, and 500 third-class (steerage)
Launched on 11 January 1883, she began her maiden voyage on 29
March 1884, sailing from Antwerp, Belgium to New York City. She
began her last sailing on this service on 9 March 1901. She was
then chartered to the American Line, with accommodations altered to
carry 160 second-class and 500 third-class passengers. She began
sailing a Liverpool-Philadelphia route in April 1901. Beginning on
28 March 1906, she made two round-trip voyages on the old
Antwerp-New York route, then resumed service between Liverpool and
Philadelphia. She made her last voyage in this service in 1908, and
was scrapped later the same year.
Launched December 1873
Wrecked May 1887
This steamship was built by Caird & Co. of Greenock,
Scotland for Norddeutscher Lloyd (North German Lloyd). She weighed
3,265 tons, had a length of 350 feet and a beam of 40 feet, one
funnel, two masts, a single screw, and compound engines. Her
service speed was 13 knots. There was accommodation for 90
first-class, 126 second-class, and 650 third-class (steerage)
passengers. She had a crew of 103.
Launched in December 1873, she began her maiden voyage on 23 May
1874, sailing from Bremen to Southampton and New York. Her last
voyage on this service began on 26 April 1885. She was rebuilt in
1886 for the Imperial German Mail Steamer Service to the Far East.
She received new engines and high-pressure boilers, and the
passenger accommodations were reconfigured. Her first voyage on
this service began on 30 June 1886, sailing from Bremen via the
Suez Canal to Shanghai, where she arrived on 15 August 1886.
She wrecked on 30 May 1887 in a storm on the extreme southeastern
rock outcrop of Socotra Island, in the Indian Ocean. Four lives
were lost when one of the boats capsized; the surviving 61
passengers and 111 crew were rescued three days later by the Blue
Funnel Line steamship Cyclops.
Launched June 1868
This steamship was built by Caird & Co. of Greenock,
Scotland for Hamburg America Line. She weighed 3,158 gross tons,
had a length of 340 feet and a beam of 40 feet, one funnel, two
masts, and a single screw. Her service speed was 12 knots. There
was accommodation for 90 first-class, 130 second-class, and 520
third-class (steerage) passengers. She had a crew of 120.
Launched on 24 June 1868, she began her maiden voyage on 16
September 1868, sailing from Hamburg to Southampton and New York.
She began her last voyage from Hamburg to Havre and New York on 28
April 1875 before being laid up in Hamburg.
In 1877/78 she was rebuilt with two funnels and compound engines,
as shown in the picture. On 30 July 1879, she resumed the
Hamburg-Havre-New York service. During a storm on the night of 13
November 1882, she collided with the Belgian steamship Adrien
David, which burst into flames and sank with the loss of all
25 crewmen, before the boat from the Westphalia could
reach her. She began her last voyage to New York on 19 December
In 1887 she was sold to H. F. Swan of Newcastle, who re-engined her
and renamed her Atlantica. In 1888 she was sold to
Gazzo & Schiaffino of Genoa and renamed Provincia di Sao
Paulo, and again renamed in 1889 as the
Mentana. In 1890 she was sold to La Veloce of Italy
and renamed Sud America. She was scrapped in Genoa in